Sunday, June 1, 2014

Richmond Greek Fest Ride (May 31,2014)

Wonderful Saturday, and one of the two big food fests called for a visit this weekend. Went to the Richmond Greek Festival on Malvern Ave....always a good time. It is also always packed to the gills...but not so much at 11am when I took this...opened the event. Shortly after lines were longer than one could believe. Great time though and a fun place with fun people.
I have some photos posted on the Photo Page, taking the car to the next event (on June 1) and will have that one on my Richmond and me page.  
Here at Mellow Mushroom in nearby Carytown, stopped in for some refreshment a bit after noon. Good restaurant (but did not eat, as I did that at the Greek Fest) but love eating there...some of the best pizza in Richmond in my opinion. Ate at the first one (its a chain) in Asheville, NC and also always visit the one in Louisville, Kentucky when I am there.
Good pizza can be found in Richmond there also at Bottoms Up and Mary Angeloes (both local chains) with some very good pizza. A week without pizza is a long seven days in my opinion.  
This caught my eye while riding, stopped and got a photo of this Kawasaki 90. Not this one, but had one as my first motorcycle back (way back) when I was 16. My Dad got it for me for Christmas. It was the start of something big.
Bike is a two-cycle, single. As far as top speed it did not have much, but sure had some great times on it. Did not take long to upgrade to a bigger bike...was the first of three two cycles I owned, but sure were good bikes. EPA pretty much ended those engines, but they were reliable and in bigger versions also fast and always fun.   
 Made a stop at the Virginia State Capital, just a beautiful building, and it was designed by Thomas Jefferson. Dates to way before the Civil War, which it survived, and there are tours of the building (which I have taken) and its very, very interesting as well on the inside.
From the visit there, went down to Highway 5 again (was there on a recent ride) but not so far. Wanted to see some Civil War sites.
This ride was not a big huge one, mileage wise but sure was a lot of fun. Wanted to see some sights and have some food and fun....sure did that.  
Last stop was at the Ft Harrison and Ft Gilmer sites on VA5, very nice forts (mostly Earthworks now) from the era. Union troops captured Ft Harrison, Ft Gilmer (which is where I am here) was abandoned when the lines were broke and Richmond fell.
Wonderful day for all the riding. Before done, cleaned the bike up and cleaned the air filter (got a K+N filter for it when the old one needed changing...a great purchase). As noted was not a big long ride, but a good day for it, with low heat and humidity a big plus. Looking forward to the next ride in the area soon.      

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...