Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ride to Hampton, VA (June 28, 2014)

 So...on Saturday June 28 had an idea to ride to Hampton, VA. Wanted to see Ft. Monroe, an important part of US history, and besides...I had never seen it. Got to see the building that was General Lee's quarters (sign at right) before the war (it was a duty station for him) and also where Jeff Davis was kept (for a while in chains) after the war.
Cool place but getting there was wild. Traffic was unreal, at times I-64 came to a complete stop. I finally got off early, and was able (by luck to a great degree) to get to Hampton, and back on I-64 close to the Fort.  
It is a cool thing to see, dates back to Colonial days, and was operated till 2011. Read the plan is to turn it over to the National Park service but for now I believe either Hampton and/or the US Army are running it. Very nice museum inside the Fort (which is free as is admission to the Fort). I put a lot of photos on my photo page and greatly enjoyed the visit.
Having toured the fort, got back on the highway to a place I had been a few years ago...Hampton Air Park.   
Like the Fort, admission here is free. That is my motorcycle and some of the planes. Noticed from my last visit that they were in a lot better shape, seem to have been doing a better job of upkeep. There was a guide from Hampton, Va and he had a lot of good information about the aircraft and rockets. As there is a major Air Force Base and a NASA facility nearby they have some cool stuff to see. It is a spot by the side of the road, but a good stop as its one I have made before and plan to make again. Also again, more photos on my photo page, but not of every item there.  
Ride back was even worse than the ride up..go a few feet and stop. Go a few feet and stop. Glad to have a water cooled engine. Finally after what seemed like forever got to Williamsburg, VA and was able to get on VA5. That is one of my favorite roads with a lot of things to see, some good curves, and best of all..it was moving. At a water stop, saw these motorcycles; just a few of the many I saw on this beautiful day.
Was not very humid or hot and during the day covered a grand total of just under 185 miles. Nice place to visit even for a short time....my second trip but not my last. 

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...