Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Day Ride (October 31, 2013)

 Good day, not a very sunny one, but it was warm and a good time to get the motorcycle and me out on the streets of Richmond. Made a stop at Hollywood Cemetery to check out some of the sights including this grave of General George Pickett. Known for Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, he is buried there. I am sure that he would have liked having a few Kawasaki Vulcan's during his charge, but it was made mostly on foot, thru heavy cannon fire, and facing rifles from entrenched troops. I think hindsight being 20/20 that it was a very, very bad idea (not that the Civil War was a better one).
Made a stop at the Virginia History Museum...its a fun (and free) place to visit. This is a Richmond built Kline Car, one of the many cars from back in the day. Like motorcycles there used to be many, many brands, but over time they were replaced by the few found today. According to the sign, Ford's mass production technique put a lot of them out of business (and the Great Depression later on got a bunch of the rest. I also liked the old gas pump seen here as well. Nice museum, and has clean restrooms (not that I needed to stop you understand)   
Took this photo on Broad Street, heading to Church Hill where I had a quick lunch at Alamo BBQ. Ride had a lot of challenges, for one thing this must be "repave the roads of Richmond" month...lots of detours, but then again, glad to see that getting done. I rode to a few places, but with stops only ended up with some 25 miles. Do not have a lot of time, but a short ride is better than no ride, and I enjoyed it a great deal.
Skies were overcast, and gray, but as I noted it was warm, and stayed dry during the ride. It was a lot of fun to get out and put a smile on my face.  

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...