Sunday, October 6, 2013

Vulcan Maintenance (October 6, 2013)

 Got to be that time, and on a hot Sunday, under a tree, did a bit of routing maintenance on my motorcycle, checked out a few things, and did an oil filter change on the bike, and changed the spark plugs as part of the 4,000 mile service.
If you want your bike to take care of you, and to last, you have to take care of it. That means having the work done, or doing it yourself. I sort of go both directions-depending on the job I either do it, or have it done. My 2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic takes care of me, cause I take care of it. I hope to have a lot more rides on this very good motorcycle.  
 This is after the work and a good wash and wax job. Did not take all that much time, and frankly did not cost all that much money. Last year I had a garage (and or that matter a wife) but still remember how to do the work outside, and it all went well. Glad to have it all shiny and ready to ride again, and looking forward to some fine rides.
After putting all the things away from the work (and have some oil to recycle tomorrow) I decided to get out on it. So got my girlfriend her helmet and off we went to put a few miles on the bike. 
This is the bike at red light. Looks like new and I am glad to say ran real well too. Nothing like a set of new plugs (my V-twin needs four of them, go figure) and oil to put new life into the old girl.
It is a joy to ride this motorcycle, and hope that the work I have done gives me a few more years with her. Has been a good motorcycle over the past 8 years with only one problem (a leak out of a seal I did have repaired at the local Kawasaki dealer a few weeks ago) but other than that it has been a wonderful motorcycle over the last 28,000 miles (though this was done a bit early). Looking forward to the next ride(s) on the Vulcan.  

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...