Sunday, January 3, 2010

Charlotte Vulcan Riders Association (January 2, 2010)

Attended the first meeting of 2010 with the Charlotte Chapter of the Vulcan Riders Association. This group formed last year (figures, was also the year that I ended up being a part time resident of the fine city of Richmond, VA). Easy group to join, the only requirement being that you have some sort (various versions available out there) of Kawasaki Vulcan motorcycles (I happen to have one of those!). Pretty good bunch, and I did (think I have some photos in an earlier post) make a ride with them to Morrow Mountain in Albemarle, NC. Meeting was pretty good, discussed future plans, and also planned some upcoming events for 2010.
Got to give them credit too. I did not ride to the meeting; and as one noted when riding down I-85 to the meeting, the temperature on a clock off the highway read 22 degrees. Factor in highway speeds and you are talking sub-zero wind chill. Some also rode in from as far as South Carolina which while Charlotte is on the border with that state, its still a ride from there to Concord. Rugged bunch for sure, and will be fun riding with them. Not sure how much I will be able to do, depends a lot on work of course. Found this year that working out events from 300 miles away to attend is more difficult than I thought it would be, though getting better at it.
Did get in some good rides over the long Christmas shutdown. Back to Richmond in the morning; but before going will at least run the motorcycle for a bit today. Both cities are in the grip of a hard cold snap.....with lows around 17 and a high (perhaps) around 30 today I will pass on getting it out on the roads today. Still, a great 12 days in North Carolina, had a fantastic time and can't wait till I return again!

2 comments:

John Featherlin said...

I've heard great things about the Charlotte VRA and looking forward to meeting them at the national rally. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet you, too.

btw, skin-tight silk underclothing is great for the cold. My girlfriend bought them and I reluctantly tried it. Very warm without adding bulk. ;)

- John Featherlin
VRA National President

carolinabiker said...

Yeah, have been on a couple of rides with them, a fun bunch with a lot of plans. Carolina is a great place to ride with pretty good weather (even in winter, other than the drought ending rain of the last year).
As for the silk news, I will keep that under advisement; though will note that WWI aviators in open-cockpit biplanes did wear silk scarves to keep their necks warm...so might be something to it. Thanks for the post!

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...