Monday, May 26, 2014

Ride to City Point (May 26, 2014)

 On the last day of Memorial Day weekend I got out on the motorcycle heading for a shorter ride than the amazing last one to a place I had been before...City Point. It is a section of Hopewell, VA but back in the Civil War and before it was a city apart. It has a long history, having been shelled a few times both by the English and the British. It was a major port in fact one of the largest in the world during the Civil War when it was the point of supply for the Union Army in the capture of Petersburg and Richmond - which brought an end to the Civil War.
Here is one of the gun emplacements (preserved over the years) but once there were cannon and soldiers here. On Memorial Day it is here that I remember one of the many wars the troops fought  and died in. As a fellow veteran I salute all of them in all branches of service and thank them for their service. I think it is good that this nation takes time to remember those who gave some, and those who gave all.
Really a fun place to explore, and I have a few more photos on my Photo Page.
This house dates in City Point to before the Civil War (and was said to be the oldest house in the area). There are a lot of such places (one building was one of the tree taverns during the war) as Virginia does a great job of preserving its history.
For me, the ride covered a total of 63 miles, somewhat less than my 311 of two days before, but it was a good ride if a bit on the hot and humid side. Used sunscreen today and it seems to have worked plus the smell of the beach was a nice touch also. The ocean...well that is going to be a future ride, but got a big weekend coming up in the City of Richmond, will be the subject of my next post. 

No comments:

Back in the Saddle (May 1, 2024)

At long last, got back out on the Triumph once again for the 2024 riding season. Was a long but fun winter and a wet Spring, but things are ...