Saturday, May 24, 2014

Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway...Virginia side (May 24, 2014)

It is one of my favorite roads in North Carolina, but luckily it also runs through Virginia. Got a few photos today from the Blue Ridge Parkway ride. Got up at 4:30am (coffee and some breakfast) before hitting the road at 7am. That road was I-64 which on this sunny Saturday was....not very busy. Pleased I covered the 100 miles (seeing a lot of police as its a holiday weekend, and they were working the roads) and just before 8:30 arrived at this point...Mile Marker one on the Parkway. The road starts in Virginia, virtually at this point. The views as you can see here are remarkable.  
 This is a shot of the Parkway, taken at an overlook. There are a lot of those. Also remarkable views, smaller critters, a small replica mountain farm (which is possible to see in my Photo Page, or in my Richmond and Me blog where I will have some more photos) . Rock formations, curves, views and sunshine....I could not ask for more. Passed a lot of motorcycles, and a few cars but the road was not very busy which was another pleasant surprise. Needing fuel though after some 160 miles I headed off the Parkway and got some gas in a small town on VA60. Pleasantly it was a very twisty road at that point.  
Continued on VA60 toward Lynchburg. Diverted from there to VA29 and went to Lynchburg where I had lunch. It was pretty crowded and a lot of things were going on downtown...which everytime I have been there has always been a busy place. A very neat and fun town.
Stopped (as I always do) to the War Memorial and thought on this day of my fellow Veterans who have paid the ultimate price in defense of this country, and of course of the wounded who are reminded of their time in the services ever day. Thanks from a brother in arms.  
At the end, headed back on NC60 (after a short tour of Lynchburg both on foot, and on the bike) which again was not a very busy road. In fact for most of the ride (until I got closer to Richmond) there was no one behind me and few in front. It was a great ride which covered (as you can see) 311.8 miles. A long ride, and tiring (though I took a lot of stops all through the trip) to see things and just to relax.
It was a remarkable trip, amazes me at times to think how lucky I am to have a very fine motorcycle and a very interesting place to ride it. Had a great time on my Vulcan in Virginia today.   

No comments:

Back in the Saddle (May 1, 2024)

At long last, got back out on the Triumph once again for the 2024 riding season. Was a long but fun winter and a wet Spring, but things are ...