Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Weekend to Ride

Have been enjoying a fine few days. Will be featuring some photos from Louisville, Kentucky and Southern Indiana where my wife and I spent four fine days. There will be some photos of the city on my "Richmond and Me" web site, and of course "Kentuckiana" (as the area is called) motorcycling on this site. Wild to be there, did a lot of years riding in that area (though we took the car on this long trip from North Carolina. There are so helmet laws in Indiana or Kentucky, so strange to see riding without helmets (though that is also common in South Carolina). Many riders though did have helmets; in fact via an un-scientific poll seemed to be more wearing than not. I wear a helmet when I ride, but have no problems with people choosing not to wear them. Went by my favorite Southern Indiana motorcycle shop (S+S Powersports in Clarksville) where I purchased my Honda 600 Shadow a few years ago; still no sign of the new model 2011 Honda motorcycles.
I also did not see them on my return to North Carolina when I dropped into Ride Now in Concord, NC on Saturday. Went there to (finally!!!!) get my rear tire and tube for the bike. I also got a set of front brake pads; got the tire put on (sparing my fingers and knuckles great pain) but will be doing the brake pads myself. With labor costs being what they are, and the job being amazingly simple (have the bike's service manual, its a minimal job) will do that myself. I do a lot of service on the Vulcan, its a very user friendly bike. That is the nice thing about cruisers, easy access and simplicity. Sure it does not have that "jet fighter"like performance (which is very cool though, love the feel of a sport bike at throttle) but sure is easy to do a spark plug and oil change on it. Plus I enjoy the hydraulic lifters on the bike; and shaft drive is pretty easy to maintain too. While I was there got a new helmet, its sort of aviation themed based on a helicopter pilot helmet, will be showing that in some future photos as well. Liked not just the theme but the design as well.
Ride Saturday was short, took a while to get the tire on there, and by early afternoon big storm clouds were rolling in (big storms were soon to follow). On this fine Sunday morning though, planning an afternoon ride with a friend around 2pm, and that will be a great deal of fun. Will have to take it easy for a while, new tires tend to be a little slick the first 100 miles, but a good warm sunny day to just take a short ride around this very interesting area. So will have some good photos coming up in the next couple of posts, I hope you enjoy them, and this wonderful weather. Spring is definitely here, and its time to ride. As always, ride safe!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...