Thursday, April 14, 2011

Signts at Ride Now (April 9-10)

Spent a couple of days at Ride Now in Concord, NC. Big dealership there; sells Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Victory motorcycles. It was both a place to meet up for a motorcycle ride (which I did with Phil on April 10), a place to get some needed work done, and a place to check out some new rides. For instance, check out these Yamaha cruisers. I like what Yamaha is doing with its Star line of cruisers, and seen here is a nice pair. There is a real active Star chapter which operates out of RideNow, a group of Star riders who ride together. There are groups like that for most brands of motorcycles, it is just not a Harley thing!
I really liked this R-1 which is by Yamaha. Great sport bike and the graphics were really neat looking, this bike would be great going down the road. Yamaha makes some fine bikes, I had an RD-350 many years ago. That bike was a real giant killer (the type, not my bike) in AMA Motorcycle racing, winning championships against must larger motorcycles in the day. In fact to this day Yamaha has a very impressive racing history. The R-1 makes a good street bike, and is also used in Yamaha's current racing program. Sport bikes are a whole different way to get from Point A to Point B; very fast and quick. This is not a bike for an in-experienced rider!
I ordered this helmet, on April 9. I have always been a big fan of aviation, and this helicopter type helmet caught my eye. Think it not only is neat to look at, but very practical. I like that shield which covers the eyes (and there is also a clear shield with it. Not everyone wears helmets (required in North Carolina, but not in South Carolina) but I like to wear them. Think this will be a fine helmet and should protect my rather fragile head should it impact the pavement in some future ride. Looking forward to many great miles with this companion; one of the best you can have on a motorcycle in my opinion. I don't mind that people choose; but I choose to wear a helmet.
I got a new tire; tires again are really important. While you only have one head, you only have two tires on a motorcycle. Having good ones on the bike makes good common sense; plus there is no spare on a motorcycle, and tires with good tread tend to be more resistant to punctures. Went with Dunlap for the rear, though I have also used Bridgestone. One of the good things about cruisers is that you tend to get a lot better mileage on the tires (distance wise) then with sport bike tires. Sport bikes tend to have stickier tires (to grip the track or road better) and of course that means faster wear. Be safe, keep an eye on your tires, and watch tire pressures.
Finally, one of the "newer" Honda motorcycles, the VFR1200. This bike is really a great bike, and the new 250 that is due to come out (and I am looking forward to seeing that and the new CB1000 which are due to hit dealers soon for 2011, but have not yet) will be along the styling of this bike (the 250 I am speaking of here). A very fine sort of "sport-touring bike" (with added bags) the VFR1200 has been getting a lot of good press. I had a VLX600 Honda for my previous bike and it was a really fine motorcycle. I enjoyed riding it a great deal, and sure had no problems with it. Other Hondas I have owned over the years were also trouble free. Of course (knock on wood) I have had great luck with my motorcycles. That is because they are very well made, and I also keep up with maintenance on them. In fact I also got brake pads for the Vulcan and will be putting them on soon. A lot of luck with motorcycle lifetimes is quality construction, but also you make your own luck with good maintenance and attention to detail when it comes to riding. Be careful out there, it is a dangerous but fun thing to ride a motorcycle, but you have to keep alert at all times on the roads.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...