Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Indiana Motorcycling

Made a trip to my old home town around Louisville, Kentucky. Got a lot of photos on my "Richmond and Me" blog of Louisville, Kentucky and Southern Indiana. I also have a number of photos on my photo page which has a link on this page. Interesting area and a fun place to be. Saw a few interesting bikes there, and have a few photos here. Took the photo above of the Honda CB-160 at S+S PowerSports in Clarksville, Indiana. They have a few good old classic motorcycles there as do most really good bike shops. I love the old motorcycles, it was a really different era then, but many of those old Japanese motorcycles are still on the road.
Few bikes went through as many changes as Honda's Gold Wing. It started out as a stripped down bigger version of the Honda CB-750, but people started adding wind protection and bags to them. This one has a Windjammer fairing and bags by the legendary Craig Vetter. That was a very popular addition to the bike which now is one of the premier touring motorcycles in the world today. Over the years the bike and the engine has grown in side, and many features have been added to the Honda Gold Wing of today. I got to ride one of the new ones (for a short time) a few years ago, think that for going from coast to coast it would be one of the great rides to do that on.
Bike below is a Honda 600 VLX Shadow. I had the pleasure to ride one prior to my Kawasaki Vulcan for some 8 years and 36,000 trouble free miles. The bike never let me down. A bit small for me size wise (but still more comfortable then a Harley Sportster) the 600 had good power and simply great fuel mileage. This 600 has a custom paint job so not sure what year it was, but liked the look of it and nice to see one again. Honda makes some fine motorcycles, I have owned a few over the years, as well as a few Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki motorcycles. I have to say all of them have been great rides, problems over the years were few and far between.
Got a last photo here which is of S+S Powersports. Took this early; its a very old dealership. I had a good relationship with them over the years, and liked dealing with them, and it was good to wander around the store again for a short time during my visit.
While I was able to check out some sights in Kentuckiana, I also got in some nice motorcycle rides (and got some very important maintenance done) in Carolina during my vacation. It was a wonderful time riding with good friends, and enjoying some wonderful weather in North Carolina. I will be featuring some photos from those rides in my next post here!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...