Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day Ride (June 19, 2016)

Fun day. After all the work on the bike, and a not small amount of money (motorcycle tires....whew) and a test ride yesterday to get the new tires broke in got going at 10:30 and headed north some 100 miles. Two or three miles off I-64 ended up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and got to see this view. Nothing like it during what was a fantastic ride.
They have a mountain farm on the Parkway near its start in Virginia. Funny thing is this WAS an actual farm site.This building is not one of the original ones, but the ones they have out there are not recreations but actual period buildings. I think I was told this cabin dates to the 1880's. Lots of cool things to see there and in fact all along the parkway. It is a remarkable road with great views, neat sites to explore and lots of fun things to discover no matter how many times you go (and I have been a lot).
After checking out some sights, and traveling a bit of that great road, I was on the road again.
 
Back on I-64 I stopped in Charlottesville, VA for fuel and while there checked out some more of the city. As with the Blue Ridge Parkway I have been there "a few" times but things such as this old downtown were new to me. Its fun to just ride around a bit and see what there is to see. I was real close to an Amtrak Station which was right across the street.
Anyhow after a while there, got back on the road and headed toward Richmond again. Going to put some more photos from this trip on my "Richmond and Me" page. Just a great ride. Stopped in Short Pump for an early dinner and got back just a while ago. Traveled some 228 miles and just had a fantastic ride.  

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...