Saturday, September 23, 2017

The First Full Day of 2017 Fall Motorcycle Ride (September 23, 2017)

 Got up early this morning and after a few cups of coffee and while it was still cool headed out to Blackstone, VA. Reason being that one there was new roads to get out on (well, new to me) and plus had never been to the town. So rode VA360 (have ridden that), then on VA153S ( a first ride on that) and then via VA460W to Blackstone. It is seen at left. Nice town, though not a lot going on yet. Love me some early morning rides.
 I rode by Fort Pickett. Maybe its a Virginia thing but funny how Army posts here are named for defeated Confederate generals. The gate was closed. Nice town though and enjoyed the ride on those roads. Nice going past the Hay bales and farms. Very scenic and cool early on, though it was rapidly getting warmer. May be the first day of fall but it did not feel like it.
I made a stop in Petersburg, Va..seen at left is the Old Train Depot. I believe this dates to the Civil War. Always enjoy visiting this town. They had a sort of Farmers Market thing going on, love those. Of note, they had dogs (and cats too I must add) for adoption. I got to pet a few...love dogs!
Rode on to the Harley-Davidson event at Colonial Harley Davidson. It was ok with a lot of bikers there (most on Harley's as expected). There was a BBQ cookoff, a band, and some commercial beer (by the big national brewers) which was fine. Overall it was fairly low key. It was ok...always like to go to these events and got to give credit to Harley dealerships...everyone I have been to in a lot of states put a lot of events for riders on. Might have been the heat. Day one of fall was pushing 90. Last weekend's rides were a lot nicer. I don't hate Summer, but glad to see Fall here. Ready for some nicer temperatures after a summer of some real heat.
On the way home I guy in a car next to me from Maryland asked what year my bike was, then said "that's one of the those new Triumphs I like it" and drove on when the red light changed. Like the complements on the bike, though its kind of strange. Not sure if I remember anyone complementing the Vulcan though I loved that bike too. Not why I purchased it, but rare someone does not say anything nice. Plan tomorrow to get out early again, and back before it starts getting hot. Expecting another hot day tomorrow.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...