Saturday, February 18, 2017

Ashland Virginia Ride (February 18, 2017)

Outstanding ride on a very nice Saturday in Virginia. For one thing, the temperature was to rise into the 70's. It did but not when I started out. First stop was to Hanover County Airport which was pretty neat. Some cool planes there and I do love aircraft. Nice early stop on the way to Ashland which is one of my favorite towns in Virginia and only some 10 miles from Richmond.
Took this photo from the bike in Ashland. Really like this mural painted on a building wall. Two train tracks run through the center of the city. They also have an old train depot there, but that is now used as a museum. I got a lot of photos there, and will add some more of them taken during this ride to my "Richmond and Me" Page.
Had a good lunch at Suzanne's which is there. First time I had eaten there and will not be the last. Was told it had the best ham sandwich in Virginia, and I have to say it was to this point. Lots of really good looking desserts also which I did not have this trip. Did get to sit outside and eat as the heat was for sure rising while I was there...and it did make and exceed the expected 70.
Took a walk after the meal and wandered around the Randolph-Macon College. Very, very nice, as it was an impressive school. Think it dates to just after the Civil War but now has a mix of new and old buildings. It was nice to explore that.
Decided to make a first time trip to Center of the Universe Brewing to check out the location and to have a beer there. Have had some before as some was sold last year at an event at the Poe Museum in Richmond that I went to.    
Center of the Universe Brewing was very good. Think I found a new favorite beer there. Very nice people but no food. They do have food trucks there and one was setting up, but knowing I was going to have beer wanted to make sure I did it on a full stomach so the earlier lunch was a really good idea. Prices were really reasonable and love the location. There was a nice outside area with tables and umbrellas. I had a beer with a guy named Ken who rode in from Virginia Beach on his Suzuki V-Strom 1000.  
After the beer played four of these pinball machines. Metallica, Ghostbusters, Game of Thrones and also The Walking Dead all got a workout from me. Love pinball and it was a lot of fun. A very nice and fun place and I will be back.
Ride back was nice, rode up on I-95 back to Richmond via Highway 1 which is one of my favorite roads in the area. Just a wonderful day and a very, very good ride. Don't expect this kind of weather in February, but was fine with me!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...