Monday, February 6, 2017

35 Days Later (February 5, 2017)

 It's been awhile. My last ride was January 1, which was a really nice day. Think if I remember right might also have been to this place. After a check of engine oil and air pressures in the tires I headed out. The day was somewhat cool being on the low side of 50 but it was sunny and just warm enough to get out for a little bit. I stopped at Zaxby's for a late lunch. This was a favorite of mine when I lived in North Carolina. Fast food, but good eats.  
I also stopped at Carolina Ale House in West Broad Village which is in the Short Pump section of Richmond. That is a mixed use area with both apartments and condo's which are also the home of a number of businesses. That also can be found a lot in North Carolina and I think that idea is neat.
This is a view of some of them, usually apartments/condo's above the businesses which are below. Makes it awfully convenient to get things done, and sure would save wear and tear on cars or for that matter...Motorcycles!
I enjoy going to Short Pump, it is one of the big retail and commercial areas of Richmond, and includes some of the largest malls. It also includes of some of Richmond's heaviest traffic but it was not too bad when I went there on Sunday. Might have been a matter of timing.
Coming back on Broad Street they had a lot of cones out, and are apparently planning some major road work which did back up traffic. I got off of that road and wandered through some of the side streets to Church Hill/Shockoe Bottom area of Richmond. Some very old houses and places there which I enjoy seeing.  
Coming back I did make a stop at Shiplock Park which as part of the old Canal System had locks which got ships into the James River from the canal (or the reverse). Nice old park with some really interesting sights. Not via motorcycle but was a favorite place of my wonderful dog Mollie who died not too many years ago. Many happy memories there, and frankly a lot of history from Richmond with many interesting things to see. I ended up riding around 45 miles. Was not a day to really get some distance, or to get all that fast in the breeze but it certainly was a wonderful time out on the motorcycle. I am really enjoying riding the Triumph and it is a great deal of fun out on the streets. Seems to get a lot of attention and complements too which is really nice. Looking forward to Spring and the great rides to come - though will take advantage of any more winter opportunities that happen to come by way.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...