Thursday, April 3, 2014

Glory of Spring (April 1 and 2, 2014)

 An absolutely beautiful day was April 1 (no April Fool joke here) with very warm temps, and blue skies. Went for a ride ended up on Laburnum Ave...a very interesting Richmond road. Made a stop at the Virginia Aviation Museum at the Richmond International Airport, where I saw my old friend the SR-71 Blackbird. Nice museum, visited it this winter, which is not the first time I have been there. This trip though was a quick one to get a photo and to ride on down the road. Was a great time though, and a lot more to see as the ride went on. 
Stopped at Richmond International Raceway where I snapped this photo. Great track and again not my first visit (have even been to a race there, though it was an Indy car race, but also love that series) and have made a number of visits there.
The Petty Experience also makes stops at this track, I have done that (though in Charlotte, not in Richmond) but if you ever get the chance it is worth checking out. Think that is as real as it can get for most people...you will for sure get to feel what it is like to go around the track in a Nascar type vehicle at speed.
Neat ride to get to the track- came off of Highway 5 and past the mails, a Nabisco factory, and the above seen museum (and the airport) to get to the track.
It is a fun ride, but there is more to come, as I got out even further on my way back to the apartment. I also saw the statue of A.P. Hill, a famous Confederate general on Laburnum Ave...and the general is buried under it by the way!   
April 2, was even better. Temperatures were in the 80's of all things. I took this photo at a red light on Broad Street looking at Church Hill (which you can see why it is named that) which in my opinion is one of the most interesting neighborhoods in Richmond. I liked a stop there at Patrick Henry Tavern, and fun to ride around that area,. though traffic was pretty heavy on my second day of riding. It was a great ride and just a remarkable day for it. I have a few more photos posted on my photo page on what was a truly great day on the bike..which went well with the other great day on it.    
Course a good bike makes for great experiences. Saw this bike at Patrick Henry Tavern (and it had a Antique Virginia license tag) which is a BMW R90. Love those old boxer twins and very unique engine (and did you know that BMW made a number of aircraft engines? 
At any case, a fun pair of days and more to come very soon, as we have more great weather to come. Spring has sprung, glad to see it, and its well overdue!   

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...