Saturday, April 12, 2014

Downtime (April 12, 2014)

Oh well, sure to happen. My nine year old bike and I went for a ride last week (was on April 4) and a guy in a car said, "Hey, your turnsignals are falling off". I thought it was a joke...it wasent. Had to string them up (got that at a nearby Lowe's) and get it back cutting the ride short.Today, took the motorcycle on a short ride to Richmond, VA (about five miles from the apartment) to get this repaired. What happened was vibration over time broke the two bolts holding the turnsignals on. Going to have that checked out, also (while they are at it) the brake light and license bracket (just in case).
I am also going to have them check the brakes, change the anti-freeze and the hoses (on the hoses, just in case as they are also nine years old), front and rear tires, and get it inspected. Got big plans for the upcoming year riding wise, and want to be safe. Vulcan has not been an expensive bike to upkeep...sure this will be a good sized bill, but worth it...beats a medical bill for sure!
Velocity Motorcycles is on Marshall Street not far from Buz and Ned's BBQ and The Diamond (AA baseball park) in downtown Richmond. One of my favorite places to go, has a lot of unique motorcycles. I have been a fan of their restoration projects, they specialize in older bikes, and have a lot of cool motorcycles to see (such as this Ducati seen at Left). I had some work done at Ultimate Cycle (which has now moved to Powhatan) previously wrote about...took three times to fix an oil leak. While finally they were successful, ready to try this shop, and sure hope I have better luck with this repair (and I do think that I will). Not sure when I will get it back...hopefully soon. 
The Vulcan is seen here at Velocity at far right...will be resting here for a while. Looking forward to some great 2014 rides, looking at having a big year on the motorcycle, it was getting off to a really good start.
I will of course be checking out some motorcycle events in the area, and also going to enjoy some other things (Richmond has a lot to offer) while I am "grounded".
Be sure to check back here, and also my" Richmond and Me" blog while we wait to get our Knees in the Breeze. Ride safe, and will be back in the wind real soon!

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...