Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Air Show Ride, Monroe, NC (November 7, 2010)

Actually took this photo as part of the previous days ride (see previous post) but liked the last little hint of fall. It was not really a great fall season; some color and some moments of really nice rides, but overall the colors were sort of bland to be honest. Probably due to the lack of rain, and the heat of summer; both of which were hard on trees. This year for the first time in a long time, did not make a ride to the NC Mountains, but there it did look pretty nice from photos that I saw.
At any case, on Sunday November 7, rode once again to Monroe, NC to the "Warbirds and Warriors" Air Show. I did not have a great deal of time, and it was a "brisk" day when I headed out in the morning, but a cold ride is better than no ride at all. With my new (and very warm) motorcycle coat from the Ride Now Open House the day before, I was warm as I hit the quiet open road which was NC-601 to Monroe. It was a day much like the previous day with clear skies, and temperatures slightly south or at 40 degrees! It was a nice day for an air show!
I did not have a great deal of time to stay there. They gave a discount for prior military service (I liked that) and wandered around a bit. Basically went to see this plane; the Curtiss Helldiver. A WWII carrier plane, it was a divebomber late in the war against the Japanese. This is the only one still flying (believe that is true, though information does change from time to time). I like history and cool to see these great old planes. I was disappointed that they roped off the area of the vast majority of the planes; so could not get "up close and personal" to them. Still, it was a neat thing to see history outside of a museum, and ready to fly!
I also took this photo of the T-6, a trainer (the type also saw some combat during Vietnam) and saw a number of other aircraft. The Tora Tora Tora group was going to fly later (they put on a hell of a show, have seen them before) in replica Japanese aircraft, and I did get to see the Black Daggers US Army Parachute Team and "some" flying before heading back out. The smallest of the three (!!!) air shows I have been able to see in the past few weeks, it was a nice event nonetheless. Liked the growth of it, and have a few more photos on my photo page if you are interested in seeing them. There is always some amazing things to see at air shows, and all have something interesting to offer.
As for the ride back, enjoyed rolling down some of my favorite roads on my return. Went back via Rocky River Road which is very scenic, though Lawyers Road with its twists and turns to NC-51 just past Mint Hill, NC and then on to home. Nice ride if short, but a short cold ride is better than no ride at all. Normally it would have been around 65, but the weekend was a cold spell. Due to my situation with Richmond (where I work) have to get rides in when I can. Motorcycles and aircraft for me are a perfect combination, and this was a very nice day out on the bike.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...