Friday, November 12, 2010

Fall at Ultimate Cycle (November 12, 2010)

Went for a walk on a fine fall day, to check out the colors in Richmond; which I am told is now at "Peak". Not quite like a fall motorcycle ride in the mountains, which I was not able to do this year, but still was a beautiful day. While out, stopped by my favorite motorcycle shop (although might be a tie with Velocity Motorcycles in Richmond) which is Ultimate Cycle. Always been impressed with how friendly the place is, the owner I met on a Sunday a couple of years ago. Had not even moved to Richmond (was on an exploration trip with Patty) and he had come in to work on a customers bike. Shop is closed on Sunday, but he invited me in and gave me a tour!
I like that kind of attitude in a bike shop. Not in the market for a bike right now, but will be needing a few maintenance items soon; think I will pick them up there this year. As for bikes they have a good selection of Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Aprilia motorcycles. This is one of the Suzuki cruisers, its an M-50 (which is a 800cc bike, or 50 cubic inches). I had a Suzuki back in the mid-70's; which I rode in Hawaii, was a great motorcycle (course to be honest, don't ever remember having a bad one). Suzuki makes an interesting line of cruisers including the M-109 (2000 cc). That engine is also in the Vulcan 2000, for a time they worked together in a cost saving move.
Bikes below are used also. In the foreground is an Aprilia (wish I knew the model, but don't). Italian made motorcycles, very strong engines I am told and some interesting designs come out of their factories.
Next to the Aprilia, in the background is a KTM. They are highly regarded (at least by the leading motorcycle magazines) and are made in Austria. Said to be very powerful motorcycles though both of the brands seen here are on the pricey side in my opinion. Still, as the old saying goes, performance costs. Like to give one or both of these a spin one of these days. Cruisers are fun, but raw power is a fun thing to enjoy as well.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...