Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ride to Lake Norman (July 10, 2010)

Photo is of Phil on his motorcycle, was one of my bosses at Concord when I worked here (Phil had the time to retire). We met up this morning, got out for a few hours after a pre-ride fuel up at Bojangles (my fuel of choice, their famous ice tea) and a nice ride out toward Lake Norman. Quite a ride out there; down some beautiful roads and past some "houses, farms, and fields". I like that area and those roads are remarkable two lanes though some interesting areas. Lake Norman was built to provide cooling water for the McGuire Nuclear Plant, we stopped near there to check out the lake and to relax a bit during a ride which covered a little over 80 miles.

Hit a milestone while out, the Vulcan and I reached the 20,000 mile mark. Purchased the bike new in 2005 (June of that year) and have been on many great adventures. This is my second bike in the Carolinas, brought my Honda Shadow 600 from Indiana when I transferred here some eleven years ago. That 600 I had also had new, sold it to a co-worker with some 38,000 miles (and also as trouble free as the Vulcan) other than the usual motorcycle stuff. The Vulcan is a 1500cc V-twin and is a very good ride. Other than normal maintenance both have been outstanding motorcycles and a great deal of fun. Yeah, I know the Fuel injection lite is on here, but just because I turned the key on to get the mileage photo when we stopped at Lake Norman.
As for Lake Norman, this is a photo of part of it. The lake is huge, and is really something to see from the air (and I have). Rode out through Denver, NC, and through Mooresville, NC as well. Mooresville is growing by leaps and bounds has not been that long since I have been there, but sure is expanding out. Great to enjoy the ride today, the heat of the last few days is largely gone (lower 90's beats 100 any time) and humidity was also much lower. Have enjoyed some remarkable riding over the past few days, and have put some serious miles on the bike; but always fun to enjoy a good ride with a good friend.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...