Friday, September 16, 2016

Roaming the Backroads (September 16, 2016)

Finally some cooler weather. In fact for the first time since last Spring, I wore a jacket on the ride. Instead of the usual 90+ it was in the low 60s when I got out for a while. Left around 930 and had plans to go to Tappahannock today. First thing I ran into on Forest Hill Avenue was a line of traffic. So turned around and rode though Richmond.
I headed through the city, and stopped to take this photo on Monument Avenue. I think this was the Secretary of the Navy (Confederate) though not sure. Mostly Confederate monuments though they do have one of tennis great Arthur Ashe. There are also some really nice houses there, its a fun road to ride up.
From there went to Church Hill and up 360. That would take me to Tappahannock. However, as I went down the road traffic got faster and faster. Normally I don't mine speed but as my bike is still in its break in period, I got off there and went rolling down some new backroads. Old Church was the name of the road and went past a lot of farms. Was a nice curvy two lane road and it lead me after a time to....    
New Kent Winery. Was not my destination but made a stop and even even had a glass of wine. Wine...its not just for breakfast anymore I guess. Anyhow, after that, headed down some more backroads. I could have gone down I-64 but there is that break in thing again and besides....backroads are more fun. Ran into 60 and that road took me back into Richmond. Was just in that area a few days ago, even went by the airport. However soon I was downtown.  
Rode into downtown Richmond where I passed this very cool building. I think it used to be the old City Hall (the new one is pretty boring in my book) and continued up Broad Street. Then, I got off that and headed up Staples Mill Road. I went WAY up Staples Mill road. Pretty nice ride and wonder where it goes. However, did come across highway 50 something and a sign that said Ashland, so I went down that road. Today was a day for some new routes and enjoyed that.  
Got to Ashland, which I have also been to a few times in the last few weeks. This is Randolph Macon College. US Representative Dave Brat was a teacher here. Even with that I think its a good school. At any case wandered on foot around there for a bit, and then took the Triumph back home via Highway 1. Love that road and always a nice ride on it.
For the day went around 130 miles which is not bad. I am now 220 miles from first service on the motorcycle. So far very happy with the Triumph.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...