Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Five and Dime Ride...once again with feeling (August 27, 2016)

 Not quite sure what got me going, but made plans to get an early start to Yorktown on this hot and humid Saturday. So the night before, went to bed early and was up around 4am. After the necessary coffee and the preflight on the motorcycle (which is where I look over tires and oil level and check out all the systems) I was on the road at 7am.
Nice riding then for even in the heat it was cooler than it would be later. Headed for downtown and past Shockoe Bottom to VA 5. A very fantastic road. A sort of wandering country road and one of my favorites. I have been there many times this summer and have even been to Yorktown before.
Light traffic with the only problem being I was going East on the East/West road and into the sun. However, before too long I had ridden the distance and got to the Colonial Parkway out by Jamestown. As that did not open till later, made my way down that amazing road to Yorktown. Photo at right is of the Yorktown Victory Monument. It was raised to celebrate (though 100 years later) the victory of the Continental Army over the British Army and the end (basically) of the Revolutionary War.  
I made a trip to Yorktown itself...there was a farmers market going on there, some light traffic, and some of the usual sights. Not a lot was open as I was early. The battlefield and Jamestown did not open till 9 am so I had time to kill. Did that wandering the town, and walking along the beach. No better way to spend some time and few better places to do it.      
Around 9am went to Yorktown. Of course, that should not require any explanation to any student of history, even a casual student. A lot of history there. Saw this tent which according to the sign was a "national treasure" as the previous owner of this tent was George Washington. Lots of interesting things to see there, such as the earthworks used by the French and Americans as well as the British, and the surrender field where the British Army was basically defeated.  
Lots of really neat cannon, including at the Surrender Field those which were surrendered by the British. These at left are just some used during the war, though sure some date to the battle. Also a Civil War history at Yorktown..just an amazing place.
Rode some more on the Colonial Parkway this time to the other end and stopped at Jamestown. The photo at right shows a statue of John Smith and a recreation (based on excavation) of the church they used. The fort is also a recreation, but is pretty authentic as far as size. Many things (including people) have been dug up and it is a really remarkable place, well worth a visit. I have been before, enjoyed this visit as much, and will return again in the future.  
The silver bike at lower left? That is mine on the Jamestown Ferry. I came back via VA10 and to get to that you have to cross the James River. The ferry is free and a very cool ride. It was a good day for motorcycles, I saw a lot, waved a lot and even for a time got to ride with a lot.
Total mileage on this ride was 170.2 to be exact. It did get hot at the end...I expected to be back by 1, it was more like 3pm and probably close to 100 degrees. It was a fantastic ride though and I was grinning from ear to ear. I am putting some more photos on my "Richmond and Me" page, because for one I took a lot, and for another, it was just a wonderful place to be as well as to see. I will be back again.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...