Monday, August 1, 2016

AMA Flat Track Race, Concord, NC (July 30, 2016)

This is an associated post with my "Richmond and Me" page. Sort of a last minute decision to take a drive (though due to heat and the weather forecast in Richmond I did not ride the motorcycle there) to see the AMA Flat Track Race. I lived in Concord for 14 years so nice to get back there and see familiar faces and to enjoy the race. I have been to a number of these in both Louisville, Ky and in Concord. They had one last year after a few years pause but I missed it. One of the benefits of a ticket was being able to tour the pits. Not just an HD show anymore, this is a Triumph Flat track bike. Other brands as well were on hand for the races. There was also a lot of events going on outside...bands and booths to see as well.  
The races were a blast. There were two divisions; singles and twins. I think the singles were around 450 and of course the twins were 750's. Most of the twins were from HD. I loved the starts in that they had an air raid siren and then they were off. Did have to say the speakers were really loud!
The races were a lot of fun. Close to the stands you could not really see the bikes as they came around the track close to the wall. However the corners were exciting both heading into 1 and 2, and as seen here into 3 and four. There were a few crashes but no one got hurt. One motorcycle broke his handlebars crashing. There was a break between the heat races and the semi finals. Then another break for the mains.
This is the podium for the single top three. Those had a number of restarts. They had rewatered the track and it was slick. Was a good race though and I sure enjoyed it. Very tight group from beginning to end.
The National (the twins) was much more spread out and yet was trouble free for its race. I did not stay for the podium as it was time to head for the car. Got to say though, even though there was a very good crowd getting out was a lot easier than the hours long NASCAR race traffic can be. I had a great time there. Most people (I don't as you know) were on Harley-Davidson's. Regardless what you might think of HD the riders were nice and in fact a lot of fun. The AMA put on a great show and I just flat enjoyed the hell out of it. I am already making plans to go back next year. As I mentioned earlier will have more photos on my "Richmond and Me" page with this same date.  

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...