Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday Riding in the RVA...and a little beyond (August 7, 2016)

 After a fun day yesterday at the river watching the Dragon Boat Races, got out at 1:00PM on the motorcycle. Hot and humid but better than it has been for the past few days.
Rode to Patterson Avenue. Went to see a big old house in a neighborhood near Carytown, but came across these deer. They were actually out in the street but they moved to the bushes and into another yard. The doe did at one time give me a look like she was considering what to do with me, but moved off. Unusual to come across them this late in the afternoon. You can just see the fawn to the right of the doe...she is looking right at it.
Rode through Carytown and then up the Boulevard. Nice day for the ride, as traffic (except in Carytown) was not too bad, and really enjoyed being out. Had a busy morning so the ride really felt good.    
I did make a stop at Richmond International Raceway. Always enjoy this sign and damnit...that is how I feel about not just my motorcycle but all motorcycles. Really takes the edge off of a tough day. It also puts a bigger smile on a nice day. From there headed back toward Church Hill and then rode out via Highway 5....a favorite route and a neat destination in mind.
Ended up at some of the Civil War forts (Fort Gilmer, Fort Harrison and Fort Hoke) just off of VA 5 and just before Malvern Hill. These forts saw action during the last days of the Civil War. In fact Union troops captured Fort Harrison late in the war and kept it to the end of the conflict.
I went to see most of them..in fact there is a 4th fort but the name escapes me now. Saw Fort Hoke because I rode on down the road..usually would turn around at Harrison. Glad I did cause I got to ride down the Osborne Parkway...a new rode for me. Runs pretty much beside VA 5. Will have to explore it more in the future. At any case, visited some former neighbors (Sandy and Mike) before getting home
The ride was longer than the last one both in time and distance. Course I spent a bit of time wandering history, but did cover almost 60 miles while I was out. It was a really good time and a really fine ride on a very interesting Sunday.  

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...