Thursday, March 17, 2016

To the Parkway and beyond (March 16, 2016)

 We're back! On what is (to this point) the warmest day of 2016, in the last few days of winter took my motorcycle to the amazing Blue Ridge Parkway.
Took a nice ride via I-64 from Richmond. The roads were not bad and the ride was very pleasant. Temperatures during the day would rise into the 80's.
This is the first lookout from Exit 99 and always a nice view. One of my favorite places to stop during trips to the Parkway or even while going down the road to visit Louisville, Ky. I just want to and always have to stop here for a short visit.
Being March most of the Visitor Center's were not open, but many of the exhibits were. Of course the views were still remarkable.
Of note and a pleasant thing being winter and a week day traffic was very, very night. I saw a few cars and a few motorcycles but not many of either. That made for a very wonderful drive.
I rode around a bit, got to see a few views such as these, toured the old farm there (very remarkable and very recommended) and just took it all in. I was grinning the entire trip and just had a fantastic time. It is, and will be, one of my favorite places to ride to...and I do so a few times a year.
Heading back I made a stop in Charlottesville, VA. Had been there a few years ago with some friends when we went to a University of Louisville/University of Virginia football game. Was struck by the beauty of the school and took some time to walk around a bit and checked it out again. The famous Rotunda was designed by Thomas Jefferson and is undergoing renovation but was still cool. Just a fun school to explore.
Very old  and a fine school and sure enjoyed the time I spent there.
Plus with the mountains nearby it is just a very fun place to get out and wander around.  
Finally made a stop at the Downtown Mall where I had lunch outside. Again, while a good crowd it was not overly crowded which is has been on previous visits.
Had a great time there, but headed back to Richmond. Following a quick stop at home for some rest and supper I went out again that night for a short nighttime ride around Richmond.
When all was said and done the entire days riding came to 260 miles. I don't make as many long rides as I would like to, but this one is always one of my favorites.    

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...