Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Back to Yorktown, VA (May 14, 2013)

 Did not have a great deal of time, but took a ride this fine day (if a little under normal temperature outside) to Yorktown, VA. I had been there in the past in the car and visited Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, which are all connected by the Colonial Parkway which is a very interesting road, and part of it can be seen at left. Reminds me of the Blue Ridge Parkway (sans mountains) but when you head toward Yorktown and come across the York River, it turns from a very good to great ride in my opinion. I have some photos of that on my Richmond and me page.
Yorktown is a very interesting and old town, here is a photo of my bike in front of the sign. There is a lot of things to see there, from the battlefield (which saw action in both the Revolutionary and later the Civil War) to the city which features a bunch of old and recreated buildings, and of course the beach. There are some sailing ships there also and some of them will take you out on the river (for a fee). There are a few (but sadly only a few) places to eat and a nice ship museum there, but the area would still be in my opinion "under development", but that does not in change that it is also a lot of fun and an interesting place to explore.        
As I noted, some cool sailing ships can be found there. I enjoyed walking on the pier to check out some of the ships there, and know from a previous visit that there will be more there later this year as the season really cranks up. Due to the time of the year, and the weather, crowds and the beach were pretty empty, which made it a great time for exploring. What is known as the tourist season is still  a few weeks off - but only a few.
Yorktown is a quick ride via I-64 though I am told is a better ride via VA Highway 5 and that is a future plan of mine. I did enjoy my second visit today to Yorktown and look forward to going back again soon.    

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...