Sunday, August 1, 2010

Virginia Classic Motorcycles (August 1, 2010)

I can not but notice that in Richmond, there are a number of interesting and classic bikes. I wonder if a lot of that is not due to Velocity Motorcycles here, but have enjoyed seeing so many great older bikes, and best off...they are not in museums, they are still in use! That is the best way to enjoy an older bike (or a newer one for that matter). Pulled over three times today to get photos of the bikes seen here. The BMW was actually the last one I saw. One of the great Boxer twins (still made by the way) but an older version. BMW actually has a long aviation history, and the symbol for the brand actually represents an aircraft propeller.
Also tagged (and ridden I am sure) is this Honda which I believe is a Honda CL-350. I believe the bike was also known as a Scrambler....and was designed (due to the upswept pipes) to be used both on street or trail. The Honda 350, and this is not the first great version I have seen in the Richmond area, was a very common sight back in the 1970's-early 80's. Where I lived in Indiana back then, it was a rare block that did not have at least one in one family's driveway or garage. I rode a few and it was a fun motorcycle to ride. Course my ride of choice back then was the two cycle Yamaha 350, but have had a few great Honda's since then.
A somewhat later version of the 350 twin was the 400 cc twin, and here is a Honda 400 classic. Again a stone reliable motorcycle, known for having a good amount of power, and a solid and well built bike. I like the king and queen seat here, the old round gauges, and the megaphone pipes from the era. Honda made a number of remarkable motorcycles (and still does in fact) and it was great to see this one. Unusual to see so many great old bikes in so short a period of time. Course, when I got back into motorcycling after a short lay off my "first bike back" was a 1977 Honda 550/four which I got back in the early 90's. Though it took a bit of work (and a cash infusion), it was actually surprisingly easy to being the bike back to life, and I had a very pleasant year on the old warrior. In fact my next bike was a Honda as well. Used motorcycles can be a very good way to get into riding, though attention has to be paid to such items as brakes and especially tires. With a bit of money and wrenching though, they can be amazingly fun rides again!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...