Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hooters Bike Show (August 22, 2010)

Went out today on a drive in Richmond; made a U-turn when I found this Bike Show going on at the Hooters on West Broad Street in Richmond, VA. A fine Sunday August 22, 2010 got a whole lot better. While not the best show (by far I have seen) it was a good little show; so far from my ride (which is waiting for me in Charlotte, NC) it is always nice to be around some fine motorcycles. This is just a few of them; others can be seen on my photo page. Liked this custom at left, was a good looking bike. Check out the spokes on those rims; sure to be a good tightening job from time to time. A good looking custom bike though and enjoyed checking it out.
I am big on history, and that includes historic motorcycles. The yellow/white bike seen here is a 1959 Harley-Davidson Sportster. Not sure of the engine size, I guess around 883 or perhaps a 1200 (not sure of the model of this bike, they put two different engines on those bikes. At one time, the Sportster (believe it or not) was a "superbike" and was one of the bigger engines back in the day (500's and 600's were much more common). In fact a really good old show from (quite a ) few years back was "Then Came Bronson" which had Michael Parks riding across country on a Sportster. This was a really nice version of that type bike seen here.

Finally, unique for sure (though you do see them from time to time) is a Boss Hoss. I believe they are made in Georgia, the frame is a special motorcycle frame, and the engine is a Chevy (as in automobile engine Chevy). Huge motorcycle for sure, and with just unbelievable power. I have personally seen a Boss Hoss smoke the tire for blocks (and I mean...blocks). Certainly not a bike you would want to drop, it would take a small crew to lift it. Had an automobile sized radiator in the front; its just a massive machine. In the world of big motorcycles; this is the king mack daddy. For sure a hell of a thing to check out, someday be fun to take one of these for a short ride.
One other thing. No Outlaw bikers were at this show (unlike the last one I went to in Richmond) but later today I read a book on getting a motorcycle at Barnes and Noble written by the maximum Hell's Angel Sonny Barger. Was actually not a bad book, but still kind of amazed me. You never know what you will find in Richmond for sure. As always ride safe!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...