Monday, October 20, 2008

Blowing Rock/The Blue Ridge Parkway (October 20, 2008)

A most remarkable day in many ways. Started out with a call this morning that offered me a job transfer to Richmond , VA (which I accepted). Though my bike will remain here in North Carolina (to be ridden on visits back to my house) I will be covering both those rides and motorcycling (though not as a rider there) in Virginia as well. It ought to be interesting. However, after that news, I got on the motorcycle (being on vacation) and rode to Blowing Rock at 10am on a beautiful if cool day.
I got to Blowing Rock after a bit over two hours of riding. It was pretty crowded there as the leaves were at peak in the mountains. I went via NC 77 and up NC321. Traffic was not bad, and though they are still working on 321 (which is a year behind schedule) it was in better shape than last year. I got the photo of the bikers riding in Blowing Rock while in town. I also got a little turned around, and ended up off the Parkway. However after a short ride via a nice mountain highway (which I believe was 105) I got back on the Parkway at Linville near Grandfather Mountain. I rode on it from there toward Blowing Rock.
I took the photo of the coffin trailer while on the Parkway. Thought it was warmer than the ride last year. Traffic though (being a Monday) was not bad, and the ride was pretty remarkable along its length. I don't think there is a more remarkable road to ride in North Carolina (though must admit I have yet to ride The Dragon). Had a great time up there. Saw a wide range of colors and met a lot of interesting people both on two wheels (as was this group of Christian bikers) and four. I really enjoyed the curves, and the road condition was excellent. It was one of the best rides of the year.


All too soon, I had to head back from views such as this! Headed back into Blowing Rock, and down NC321. I was concerned about the rush hour traffic, but other then a little slow going in Hickory, NC and again in Mooresville it was not bad at all. I got back to my driveway at just before 6pm, having covered some 255 miles in the course of the day. I have been on many trips to the Parkway, and have enjoyed them all, but I have to say this was among the best. I rode solo today, but considering the impact of the phone call this morning early, it gave me some time to pause and reflect on what I have been through in the past and to wonder about the future to come. Life is full of adventure, and this will be another chapter in that adventure. I look forward to the days to come. Be watching here for more on motorcycling in both North Carolina and (starting in February 09) in Virginia as well!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...