Saturday, July 16, 2016

Oops...The Cold Harbor Area Ride (July 11, 2016)

Previous post is the earlier ride, but this is my blog and I can do it...or in this case fix it...anyhow I want to. Forgot these photos and this ride, but it was a very good ride. Headed out on a nice day with cooler temperatures and humidity for a ride. Actually went down some new roads which were past a lot of farms and full of the smell of "good country air". To me though it kind of reeks of shit...but what do I know. Anyhow past the cattle and farms and enjoyed the twisty roads.
Nice area out there, and of course was a big part of the Civil War. Two invasions of the Richmond area (with the second being successful and ending that war) happened out there, and in some cases only a short distance apart. Some four years apart but in some of the battlefields just a short walk from the other.
Like going out there and on this day traffic was very light and I enjoyed that The motorcycle did not miss a beat and I was grinning from ear to ear.    
This is the Cold Harbor Battlefield, and I have been there "a few" times. In fact the top photo was also taken there, you can see the cannon in the background and the visitor center at the right (part of it anyhow).
Bottom photo is where those cannon area. I did walk out to some of the earthworks. It was an epic battle and the one that General U.S. Grant said if he had to do it over again, he would not.  
Anyhow, rode back and on the way back got this photo of the James River from the Lee (yeah that Lee) bridge not too far from my house. Nice area and as you can find from the later post below this one as well as from some other posts I am very fond of the James River. It is not far from the house and just a fun place to ride around./ I also like to wander around it often.
This was a very good ride and did not want to miss this post. This time of year you don't get weather like this often.
As far as distance I think this was another short sort of ride...maybe 60 miles though seem to remember it was a little under. Sure enjoyed it though.    

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...