Friday, July 22, 2016

Hot Ride in the City (July 22, 2016)

 It's July so hot is to be expected. Certainly hit that this morning; headed out early on my fantastic motorcycle and went for a ride. Started out and it was in the 70's. Nice very sunny day with expected heat index to rise to the 102 range by the time I got back. That it did. Was fun when moving, but man those red lights were hot. Even the asphalt was hot. Walked around some but not for long in that heat. Expected to be hotter the next few days. The ride to Ashland, VA was nice though, as I rolled down I-95 to that city. It was fun and traffic was not too bad either.
Ashland, VA is a cool town. It is a college town which is also pretty cool. Some nice restaurants and good places to hear live music...plus some damn fine coffee can be found there. It is also a train town. A number of tracks run right through Ashland. I did explore the museum in the old train station which was cool if small. The train does stop there (which runs to DC by the way) but you can't get tickets there to ride on it. I did read you can buy them on the train, but there is no discount if you do that.
Anyhow spent some time there. Usually go to Ironhorse Restaurant but it was not open yet, and I wanted to make this an early day, so after a short visit I got back on the road again. This time I rode back toward Richmond via VA1.  
VA 1 is one of my favorite roads, runs though pretty much the entire state North to South and passes a lot of small towns. It is a much more scenic drive than I-95 and the slower pace is very nice.
Back in Richmond I went to Canal Walk, where I saw some of the art works there, and just wandered around again for a little bit. It is a favorite place as well to visit.
After that, rode up Forest Hill Avenue past my house and got some ice cream at Baskin Robbins. Seemed good as the heat index was now some 102 degrees. Home from my three hour ride having covered just a hair over 50 miles. Looking forward to my next one!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...