Sunday, March 2, 2014

A visit and a ride (March 1 and 2, 2014)

 On Saturday March 1, went to visit (among other places) Velocity Motorcycles in Richmond, VA. They are great at restoring old motorcycles, also great (I am told and will find out) at maintaining newer motorcycles. As my bike shop here has moved way out of town, will be using this shop for things such as tires and other sorts of maintenance (such as fork oil and the like). I do a lot of my own maintenance, but now with no garage (since the divorce) have to do all my work outside. So a good shop is (and was also in the past important). Luckily Kawasaki built me a great motorcycle.
This is Velocity Motorcycles shop...got a nice tour from one of the workers there, and enjoyed that. They really like BMW motorcycles and have a number of them, but also have a lot of Japanese brands, some Italian motorcycles (especially Ducati) and some other rare things. Strange that Richmond has no BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi (to name a few) dealers here...used to having all that and more in the Charlotte area. They do have a few Harley dealers, but even then fewer than many places I have been for cities of this size. This though really fills a niche in my book.  
On to Sunday March 2. It was in the upper 60's (if not warmer) and unlike the last time a few days ago it got that warm the previous battery charge held and the bike fired up without a problem this time. Went riding to Amillia Courthouse, VA on a very beautiful day-nice heat and sunshine. Wore a coat (jean jacket) and no gloves (though could have worn that last). Went down I-95 and 288 to Hull Street Road (think that is VA301) to this spot. Was one of the last places that General Lee took the Army of Northern Virginia on the way to surrender a few days later to General Grant in the Civil War.   
It was a great ride, here I am getting ready to turn into my girlfriends neighborhood, stopped by there and also had lunch at Glory Days (very good food, had been there, but never tried the food) before getting the bike back. Can walk from where I park it and back..just got home to the apartment before the rains started. While very warm today, calling for a major snow storm..that may be documented tomorrow on my Richmond and me blog. At any case, got in 91 miles on a beautiful day and got to have a great smile on my face in three hours of wonderful riding. I am sooooo ready for Spring!

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...