Thursday, December 19, 2013

Early Christmas Gift #1 (December 19, 2013)

Just a beautiful thing...December 19, a bright sunny day, first day of my vacation and it was 65 degrees in Richmond, six days before Christmas (normal high around 50). On a bright sunny day, got the bike out of where I store it and took it on a ride around Richmond. Stopped here at left at Hull Street Outlet (which is actually on Jefferson Davis Highway) to get a photo of my bike by this rocket....cause I love both things! Could not get over this, was grinning from ear to ear for the three and a half hours I was out. Did a little Christmas shopping on the bike (another cool thing) getting a gift for my Harley-Davidson riding girlfriend and a little lunch, plus rode out to a Civil War battle site (Navy this time, though I had been there before, but not for quite a while). Wanted to rotate the tires and light the fires and I certainly did that on the motorcycle and on me.  
This is Colonial Harley Davidson in Colonial Heights, VA which is just outside of Petersburg. Not a huge Harley person (that is my Kawasaki Vulcan on the far right) but from what I have seen this is the biggest and best equipped HD dealer in the area. Have been to a few things there (the state HOG rally was there a few years ago, that was a lot of fun with all the bikes) and like dropping in there.
They have some remarkable motorcycles - though have had really good luck with the Japanese bikes. I like the water cooled engines on the big Japanese cruisers, though they do have the V-Rod and a new sort of water cooled engine.
 This is a Super Glide, sort of the classic sort of thing from HD. Has the air-cooled engine, belt drive and hydraulic lifters (as does my Vulcan) which means no valve adjustments.
Pretty bike, and is one of the bikes that actually fits me. Funny to me that the Japanese bikes tend to be big (for taller riders such as me) while the Harley-Davidsons tend to be smaller (I look like a loon on a Sportster). Sure a lot of history there, and I think motorcycling is better thanks to Harley being there. They are though getting some US competition from Victory Motorcycles and now Indian.   
This is the Breakout, I like the paint on this one a lot. Again, the standard air cooled engine, but that paint is something to see. The other type of paint on the Breakout can be seen on the bike behind it. Nice motorcycle!
Liked being there, good place to stop with some very friendly people, and as I have noted there is usually a lot going on there. Harley shops tend to have a lot of things to do, and a lot of events are held there. It was the same at Speedway Harley Davidson in Concord, NC, which is a fine shop as well.  
This photo was taken at Commonwealth Powersports, which sells Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha (Star), Suzuki and Victory, and is within sight of Colonial Harley-Davidson. Like that shop too, and also very friendly people. A Tilted Kilt bar is right next door, nice place to visit, though I had lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings, just up the road. Love those Wings!  
Finally, made a stop on the way home (got to Colonial Heights via I-95, but back on Jefferson Davis Highway) to Fort Darling. This was a Confederate fort during the Civil War on the James River which repelled a Union fleet (including the Ironclad USS Monitor) which planned to shell Richmond. That battle stopped that threat.
All in all, a remarkable day on the bike, three and a half wonderful hours with the stops at the bike shops, lunch and the battlefield. Got in 55 miles, not a whole lot, but more than I expected in late December. Best thing is that the forecast is for more of the same...tomorrow. I plan to take advantage! 

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...