Sunday, July 7, 2013

Motorcycle Date (July 6, 2013)

 Something different....started July 6 out visiting HondaHouse in Richmond, VA. They now also carry Yamaha Motorcycles, and got my first up close look at the Bolt which is new for 2013. Cool bike which is to me a copy of the Harley-Davidson Sportster but (I am told) with better performance. I think its a neat bike; really liked the LED tail lights on it. Going to have to check this out later on, there are a number of really good motorcycles out this year. I also saw the adventure bike version of the new Honda 500 line, and of course checked out the Can-Am trikes.  
 This is Kaye who rides a Harley-Davidson Heritage (2006). As dates go, this was a good one, first time motorcycle date. We went riding to lunch at Alabma BBQ (one of my favorite places) and then went down Highway 5 to Yorktown, VA. Had not been there via that route...very, very scenic. I liked the ride on what was a very hot and humid day. Yorktown has a lot of very historic buildings many of which date to the 1700's. One of the cool things about Virginia is the history of this place, and also how well they have protected it over the years. Not just there, but also in Richmond.    
 Had this photo in Yorktown. It was really lively due to the heat, there were a lot of people there, and I got a photo of this bus. Sort of hilly but we walked around....think you can see a place better on foot.
After the visit to the city, walked to the bikes and rode along the amazing Colonial Parkway. It is a unique road and this time we rode all the way to Jamestown. Along the route is some great scenery but also a very cool tunnel that we went though. I think as with much of the area Yorktown is very old and very unique as well. Been a lot of places but there is nothing quite like it. 
Finally, got this photo from the Jamestown Ferry. First time to ride that, we crossed the water (to be honest, not sure what water) and headed back to Richmond via Highway 10. Once again a very scenic road...had a good time riding that one.
For the day, the entire ride covered 195 miles in total, one of my biggest days on the bike in some time. On the bad side have an oil leak; first problem on the 1500 since I got it in 2005....going to see if I can fix it, if not...its going into the shop later this week. That will be my Sunday project later on in the day. For now, I have a lot of happy memories and a really great time!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...