Sunday, July 8, 2012

On A Hot Sunday Morning in Concord, NC (July 8, 2012)

 Got out early on Sunday July 8 before the heat (which was once again over 100 degrees heat index wise later in the day) got really bad. Besides, like riding on a Sunday morning-the traffic is light, businesses are empty and the world is quiet. Thanks to my stock exhaust on the Vulcan, I do not blast my presence as I ride. Made a stop at Charlotte Motor Speedway, like to ride by and around the outside of the big track (at times I have ridden on it, which is pretty cool, they allow that from time to time) as I rode up NC-49 to Harrisburg, NC, and then up to the track. While I was in the area, I also rode out to the Concord Mills Mall, and to the Concord Regional Airport. Both of those places were quiet-though a few planes were flying. Concord Mills is the #1 tourist attraction in North Carolina (which in my opinion is sort of sad with so much to see, but it is big for sure), and the airport in Concord is one of the busiest in the state (the busiest is Charlotte-Douglas just up the road a few miles). 
Took a short ride on the way back up Union Street which has a number of really cool houses, many of which are historic. I love riding down that tree lined road. Downtown is small, but has a number of neat stores, and some good places to eat. I have a good time there, though most all of them were closed on  this Sunday morning.
For the day, ride covered some 45 miles. I got a few miles down some backroads, and enjoyed it. It will be a while before I get out again, but looks like more normal Summer weather will be in the area. I have enjoyed a nice vacation, and sure will be looking forward to the next one-but soon its back to Richmond and time to get to work again.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...