Monday, May 28, 2012

Ridin on Race Day (May 27, 2012)

On May 27, did some vehicle cleaning, both the car and my favorite one by far, seen here at left. Like to clean it though often its a while between cleanings as that cuts away from the all too rare riding I do since I now am a "migrant factory worker". The 1500cc Vulcan Classic 1500 has been a great motorcycle and have had no problems with it since I purchased it new in 2005. Got a few new sets of tires and I put new brake pads on the front last year. Been to a lot of places on it and have enjoyed some great adventures. Nothing puts me in a happy mood like a good ride on the motorcycle.   
Sunday, being race day in the Concord area (as the Coca-Cola 600 happens which was won by Kasey Kahne which was run in the late afternoon and into the night) is a big traffic day and so there are some streets you avoid. There are some good backroads ways to go to areas though. Being race day thought it was a good day to see the Dale Earnhardt statue in Kannapolis, NC. Nice tribute to the cities favorite son. Either it was people being at the race, or just that it was a Sunday, but it was a really quiet out in the local cities. I did roll to see a couple of friends (Steve was working, Bill was home) and had a really nice ride.  
At the end of the ride, as I pulled up to the driveway, hit this mileage. Important part of motorcycling is good maintenance. Before I ride again going to: change oil and filter, change the spark plugs, clean the air filter (can do that as its a K+N filter), change the rear gear oil (its a shaft drive motorcycle)  and lube the cables. I also like to check the tightness of the bolts. I have found over the years and through the course of many motorcycles that if you take care of your bike, it will take care of you. Regular service will give you a lot more years than just getting on it and riding without it. It is also good to do, as pilots do, a good preride check before hearing out. Looking forward to getting that done, and looking forward to my next rides very soon.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...