Saturday, June 25, 2011

VA State Hog Rally, June 25, 2011

Found out about this, and had to check it out, even though in Richmond I am "sans Motorcycle". Still a day spent with bikers is a good day, riding or not. This was a pretty cool event, though most of it was only open to "registered riders". However, the festivities at Colonial Harley-Davidson were, and so I went by there around noon on the last day of the rally. All the photos were taken there, including the one at left. I liked that bike which to me is what a chopper should be...long and (especially) lean. There is nothing extra on that motorcycle (other than the front fender) but its a fine looking bike, and sounded good too!
Thought this was one of the finest looking customs there. Ape Hanger handlebars seem to be the thing of late (in fact both Harley-Davidson and Victory Motorcycles have models which come standard with those type of bars. This bike really had a nice look to it. Nice air breather cover as well, and the paint job just flat rocked. I also liked the pipes on this bike, though did not get to hear it run. That is getting to be quite the problem though; the "loud pipes save lives" bunch is really creating some issues for the motorcycle community. Been a real increase with noise complaints from non-bikers, and those will have a real negative impact if they continue.
Got a kick out of this pair, one is a Kawasaki Vulcan, and one is a Honda Shadow. Since those were the types of my current and previous bike, I liked seeing that. Lucky in that both motorcycles were (and still are...knock on wood) trouble free other than routine maintenance. I am grateful for that, of course a lot of times you make your own luck. Before I ride next time in NC (just a few short days from now) I have some maintenance that I will be doing on the Vulcan. Take care of your ride, and your ride will take care of you. Most of the work that needs to be done on a regular basis is simple and relatively low cost. It pays to do it, or to have that work done!
I liked this photo, just a few of the many bikes at the event. The place had a really good crowd, and there were some biker games (such as the ever popular slow ride) going on when I was there. Harley Owners Group is a fine organization, and they put on some really cool events. Been on a few rides with them, Harley dealerships are also very, very supportive of the groups and they put on some very fun events. Even though I don't ride a Harley, I do enjoy visiting with them, and taking part in what I can. While very supportive of their brand, most are pretty friendly, and take a "its not what you ride, its that you ride" attitude.
Seen here are just a few of the booths at Colonial Harley-Davidson. Many of the people on this hot day were in the (air conditioned) dealership. The Colonial Heights Police Department was there to make sure nothing got out of hand, but it was a really calm crowd while I was there.
While riding would have been better, it was a great time there, and enjoyed the event. If I am in town and it comes here again, I will be back for this.
Later in the day, went to the Virginia Aviation Museum, where I saw some great planes. Love aviation, and enjoyed that a great deal, can read about that in my "Richmond and Me" blog.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...