Sunday, June 12, 2011

Southside Super Show: The Bikes (June 12, 2011)

Nice time at the Southside Super Show at ROC Church on June 12. Free Admission, and a number of cash prizes for the best vehicles in the show. On a hot humid Richmond day, they had some really nice bikes to see (some of the cars and trucks are on the "Richmond and Me" page, which is also part of this site) Seen here is a fine looking Kawasaki which was really a fine motorcycle "back in the day" (around 1970-1980's). I remember the sound of these bikes and they really were a hell of thing to ride back then. This one is an outstanding restoration, and to be honest, I don't think they looked this good back in the day.
I really enjoy choppers, that long lean basic look. This angle of this one really caught my eye. Long lean and mean this is a fine looking bike. They do not get more basic than this, it is about as minimal as it gets. Sometimes with motorcycles I think they are getting, as are many vehicles, more and more complex. There is a lot to be said for basic...working on something like this would be a piece of cake.
Choppers are sort of out of fashion, but I am sure they will be back. Something about that long lean look is really something that touches the basic biker in all of us. This is really though something that looks fantastic.
I do enjoy watching American Chopper, been amazing how many years that show has gone on. The conflicts are neat, kind of remind me how my work goes at times. Its real life, building real motorcycles; to me just about the perfect show on television. Be fun to meet those guys, and as far as working there, would be no problem...many of us have jobs just like that, working for people just like that, and dealing with those kind of situations.
When it comes to custom motorcycles, Harley is a popular subject. Few Harley's remain the same, all have some sort of touches. You can even buy (for a whole lot more money) CVO versions of many Harley-Davidsons which have larger engines, and a whole lot more chrome. The owner of this HD did all that himself. There is a whole lot of work and love that went into this bike, and yet it still retains most of what came from the factory. There is enough chrome on this bike to blind the average driver, which could or could not be a good thing. For sure though this is a beautiful motorcycle. It was one of many in the show, and all were fun to see.
You never know what will cause a biker to create a masterpiece on two wheels, for instance I think a love of the Dallas Cowboys was the theme for this Suzuki Hayabusa. I liked the theme, but it is also well equipped for the road with the longer single sided swingarm, and I am sure some major engine work as well. Suzuki makes some engines that can easily take some very radial and extensive modifications; they remain even in the stock condition some of the most powerful motorcycle engines out there (though the Kawasaki ZX-14 will give it a really good run for the money). I was pleased to see this motorcycle though and am glad to present it to you here.
Finally, the show had some really good stunt riding (by the way, the Nissan Versa second from right is mine, thought I would throw that in) and I was amazed at what they could do on two wheels. In fact they were even able to wheelie a Harley-Davidson Sportster and that I am here to tell you is quite a trick (and I have a photo of that on my Photo Page, via this site).
The show was an absolute great time, with many great motorcycles, and other vehicles. It was my first time to go to this show in Richmond, but I will be back next year (if it is held again next year) and if you are in the Richmond area around this date, be looking for it.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...