Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Weekend (Part 1)

Liked this photo; saw this motorcycle while making a stop on my way to North Carolina on April 2, 2010 in Petersburg, Va. Never have ridden a bike with Ape Hanger handlebars, but have seen quite a few of them of late (in fact saw a rider going down I-85 with a set of them on his bike) but liked this motorcycle. Bikers are certainly a fun and different sort (and I am proud to be a part of them) and got a feeling the owner of this bike is one. The basic bike is a Harley-Davidson with a bit of special customization and a lot of thought. Ride safe my brother, and enjoyed seeing your motorcycle.

As for my motorcycle, rode to "Uptown" Charlotte on a remarkable April 3 Spring day. That is my Vulcan in the foreground, sitting near the Time Warner Cable Arena but in front of a new building under construction. Had a good time exploring Charlotte; saw the (outsides at least) of the new Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, the NASCAR Hall of Fame Museum, and quite a few familiar sites. I will be putting many of those photos on my photo page, which there is a link to on this page. Charlotte is a fun town to explore, and I enjoyed the ride today a great deal. The weather was more like early summer...sunny, warm and fantastic.
I made a stop of Mac's Speed Shop in Charlotte, NC (on South Blvd). There I saw this Indian, which I believe (but am not 100% sure) is one of the brand new ones being built at the new Indian factory at Kings Mountain, NC. Very pricy motorcycles, and a limited line, but a very nice looking bike with a lot of fine features. Not sure how they are doing with the recession, but last I heard they were still in business and still in production. This attempt is either the third or fourth attempt to bring back the classic brand which ended production in the late 50's as I remember, and was the next to last US made motorcycle brand (Harley survived).

As for Mac's Speed Shop, it is a popular motorcycle mecca, but also serves a very good bbq which is made NC style. That is without sauce (which you add from a number available) and topped with slaw. That is a Carolina thing the slaw, but it is actually pretty good that way. They also have a fine and extensive "beverage" selection and have always found it to be a friendly place. The music in there (tends to be blues, though also feature country and rock) is also a plus. Has a very good bike night and often features live music. Not much of a food critic, but I like going there, and have missed it.
Enjoyed exploring Charlotte today and a truly great ride, and have plans for another one coming up soon.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...