Sunday, July 12, 2009

SC Breakfast Club Ride (July 12, 2009)

Patty Wagstaff made some good comments in her blog not long ago about the Rowan County Airport which is near Salisbury, NC. Today, I rode the Vulcan there to meet the planes and pilots who flew in with the South Carolina Breakfast Club. I had a great time, this was actually an early photo (in the next couple of days will show many of the most interesting planes on Flickr...and I have a link to that on my page) as later dozens of aircraft, many historic flew in for breakfast with EAA 1083 and me! I am a big fan of aviation and aircraft, and enjoyed the visit there today. I left the house at 8am, found the streets really quiet and traffic light. I love riding on Sunday mornings. The fact that it was cool early (something which has changed as afternoon has rolled on) was also nice. So enjoyed the ride without the usual speeding masses texting on their cell phones, and had a good cruise in to the airport.
After around a two hour visit, rolled into Salisbury, NC. Very interesting town and always has something new to offer. Being also something of a Civil War buff (and Richmond has a lot of that to explore also) discovered today a house (was told it was the quarters for the Confederate guards) of the Salisbury Confederate Prison. The prison was burned when Federal troops took the town. I was also told of another house, found that; was the residence of the chief confederate doctor at the prison. One of the cannon used at that prison was also in the yard. Little (other than the trenches which hold an estimated 11-18,000 Union dead nearby) remains of the prison that was in Salisbury.
After that, rode back to Concord via Old Concord/Salisbury Road. I enjoyed that ride also, again traffic early was light, and enjoyed a pleasant ride back to the house. During my days here on vacation, got in some 350 miles of very fine riding, and some great memories to get me by until I get back home again. Have enjoyed some fine rides in the region, and am looking forward to some more on my next visit.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...