Thursday, July 9, 2009

Holiday Riding in Carolina (Part 1)

Friend of mine (who went with me) took this photo at Bike Night at Quaker Steak and Lube on July 8. Quaker Steak on a normal Wednesday night gets close to 900 bikes, weather was iffy but I took a chance (as did my buddy Phil) and we rode out to see what was going on there. I used to be a regular, but with the Richmond transfer (and back to working 3pm-11pm) don't get to go anymore. Besides, Richmond does not seem to have as many bike nights as Carolina does; really popular here. Phil took this photo of me next to the new Kawasaki Voyager 1700. Talked to the owner of this bike and he loved it. This one comes with ABS, a nice feature (especially in the rain) on any motorcycle.
My motorcycle does NOT have ABS, but this week what it does have is a rear gear oil change, new brake fluid in the front and rear brakes, cables lubed, an oil change, and new brake fluid in the clutch. Did all that on Monday; good maintenance is important. I do plan to check and/or clean the air filter this weekend. I put a K+N air filter in it a few years ago, nice to not have to get new filters for the air cleaner, and the K+N does give the Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 a lot more power.
Most of my rides so far have been around town, though last Saturday I did take a good ride to Morrow Mountain which is located in Albemarle, NC (town is also famous as the hometown of Kellie Pickler). Morrow Mountain is a beautiful place with a very fine lookout and draws bikes like flies to honey. Had a nice crowd up there and beautiful views. The fact that the heat was not bad nor the humidity were two more plusses. It was a really great ride!
Having a great week so far being home with my family, and also have enjoyed some really good time on the bike. Getting some badly needed rain today, though it did spoil a ride planned with Steve still many days left before I have to go back to Richmond. I plan to take full advantage of the time left to get some riding in here in one of the best places to ride in the US: North Carolina!

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...