Monday, September 8, 2008

Winston-Salem Air Show (September 7, 2008)



Sunday, September 7 at 10am, I (after a fuel stop) rode out to the Winston-Salem Air Show at Smith-Reynolds Airport in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The show was always one of my favorite events, and I had not been to it for a couple of years. However, since it had not been held during that time, it was not my fault! So I rolled out getting on I-85. For a Sunday morning, it was pretty busy; and nothing sucks like traffic on a highway on a motorcycle. However it got better when I turned off to NC-52 which took me into Winston-Salem, and to the exit to the airport. That was a pleasant ride with less traffic.
Getting into the airport grounds at 11am, the traffic was pretty heavy. I parked with a group of motorcycles on the very hard (and thankfully very dry ground). The airport is an old design and worth seeing in its own right; sort of an Art Deco design. Though very hot and humid, I wandered around the grounds. I saw the plane you see here (a PBY Catalina from World War II). The PBY was neat because the last one I saw was the remains of one wrecked in the 1940's on the island of Diego Garcia. I saw that in the 1970s back in my Navy days. There were a number of interesting planes, commercial, military, private, and performing aircraft. The air show was really great, fun to see the pilots play havoc with the laws of gravity. Big highlight for me was the flyover by a pair of F-22 Raptor flighters. All in all I spent three hours there. Was glad to see the show back, also was pleased that the crowd was large and happy. I have always been a great fan of aviation, in fact feel that motorcycling is a great deal like flying (and have found that many pilots agree with that statement) though as I like to say, though conducted at a lower level.
I left the air show around 2pm and rode into downtown Winston-Salem which was nearby. I used to make the show on a Saturday, but found that on a Sunday its still pretty deserted. Its a neat downtown (both clean wise and in an interesting sort of way) with a lot of interesting buildings and of course churches.
I rode on through town, and came across Old Salem. Old Salem is a collection of old restored buildings. You can pay to go through them, or walk the streets for free (I chose the free walk) but liked wandering around that area. Its right off the downtown, and is worth a visit.
I got back on NC-52, but took a detour to go though Welcome, NC which was on the route home. Welcome, NC is the location of Richard Childress Racing (RCR) and though it was closed stopped to get a photo of the buildings. RCR is a really good museum with quite a collection of many race cars, including many driven by Dale Earnhardt. I have been through the museum on a previous visit.
I rode back onto NC-52, and merged after a while onto I-85. Not for long though, cause again the traffic on I-85 was bad, and frankly in my opinion highways suck! I got on NC-29 and rolled through Spencer, NC and stopped at Salisbury, NC (both are some of my favorite towns). Took a little walk in Salisbury, also stopped for fuel and a coke. I rolled on down NC-29 into Concord, which is a much more scenic route, and a lot more fun to ride.
The only city I missed that I wanted to see was Lexington, NC which is the home of some really great barbecue, but will be back there in October for their festival, and will see it then. Figured after 141 miles of riding, the airshow, and a few stops on the way back, that was enough for one day, as I rolled into the driveway of my house at 5pm.





No comments:

Back in the Saddle (May 1, 2024)

At long last, got back out on the Triumph once again for the 2024 riding season. Was a long but fun winter and a wet Spring, but things are ...