Monday, September 1, 2008

Motorcycle Maintenance

Been a great Labor Day weekend; got on a few "honey-do's" and also got some good riding in. All the rides have been local, did not have a great many miles to ride, as the oil change was due within 100 miles. I like to stick to the schedule. of note though I did go to the Concord Regional Airport (twice in fact) to see this 1929 Ford Tri-Motor which was visiting here. Great aircraft, and I am quite an aircraft fan. Plus, good example of how things can last if you maintain them. I worked with aircraft (in the Navy) for a number of years, and learned the importance of maintaining your vehicle.

Maintenance is important both from a safety standpoint, also to make your bike last longer. I like doing it myself; for one thing I know it was done right, and for the other its a lot cheaper as well as faster. Bike shops during the riding season can get really backed up, and its a lot faster to do as much of the work as you can on your own. Lots of good manuals out there to get instruction, even a few web sites. A few tools and other items can save you hundreds both in labor costs, but by doing the work also in repairs.

My work was to change the spark plugs (my Vulcan has four), the oil and filter, and also the rear gear oil. I had had a idle problem of late I thought was the plugs, but turned out to be a simple adjustment later on. Still new plugs really make the motorcycle purr like a kitten. As they get worn the bike tends to run rougher. New oil is also good for the engine, and I will be set for a while thanks to all that work. Wanted to get that done as it was due, and I am looking forward to the ride to the mountains pretty soon. Coming up next though is the ride to the Winst0n-Salem Air Show (weather permitting especially with the hurricanes threatening this area) which I am looking forward to on Saturday or Sunday.

No comments:

Back in the Saddle (May 1, 2024)

At long last, got back out on the Triumph once again for the 2024 riding season. Was a long but fun winter and a wet Spring, but things are ...