Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fall Color at Morrow Mountain (October 30,2011)

Back in North Carolina, went on one of my favorite rides. Not quite a peak color (in fact, something like 40%) but I figure the next time I am home, it will be over. Seems like a strange sort of Fall-lots of yellow and red with some orange, but leaves are also falling fast this year. Weather has been sort of strange, but still have enjoyed what I have seen so far. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out this year; but fall and the colors to be seen in one of my favorite times of the year. Got in a 70 mile ride today, down some beautiful roads. Noticed this trip from Virginia to North Carolina a lot of road work going on.

Views from the top are really something to see, usually there are a lot of motorcycles up there-Morrow Mountain is a state park in Albemarle, NC. It was a bit chilly on this ride, 55 degrees when I headed out. Not a problem though, I was dressed for it, and for a change I was right on what I needed-it was perfect for the ride. Another thing I like about fall is the haze that is often seen up there was no where in sight (the same sort of smoke that gives the "Smoky Mountains" their name) and loved the clear views. It was a really fine ride, and I enjoyed being up there. Lots of people were there in their cars and a lot of photos such as these were taken.
After the ride went to Harmanco's in Albemarle (the park is also in Albemarle, NC). Noticed that the motorcycle dealership that was there is closed (I think Crossroads Yamaha is still open, but not sure) which is another loss from the economy. Love the food there, a good place to eat, and a friendly place to stop in after a good ride (or in this case, in the middle of one). Albemarle is a very nice town in fact, though not much is open on a Sunday. The bike seen here (a Harley) is not mine, but there are many photos of my Vulcan on these pages. It was a fine day for a grin inducing ride, and I really enjoyed this one. Even better, being fall, that is a bug free grin at that!

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...