Sunday, January 16, 2011

Arnold, The AMA, Loud Bikes, and News (January 16, 2011)

Back in Carolina, though won't be riding this trip, though the day is sunny, and relatively warm. Problem is that there are still patches of ice on the roads from the big winter storm last week, and a ton of salt and sand on the roads. Just washed the bike after the last salty ride, been cold for the last couple of weeks in Richmond, and frankly will wait till the next trip to ride. I will be putting the bike in the trickle charger; to give the battery a charge, and will start it up tomorrow to run some fluids though the engine, but the ride will have to wait.
That is not to say that motorcycling is far from my mind. I made a visit to Davis Harley-Davidson in Burlington, NC; got some nice photos and those will be in the next post here in a few days. I also watched a bit of Supercross live last night before bed from Phoenix, AZ. A big treat has been the American Motorcyclist Magazine that came yesterday. The February 2011 edition had (as always) a lot of good articles. Liked the one on Bob "Hurricane" Hannah, who was a great motocross/supercross racer. Always enjoy watching those motorcyclists "fly", and Bob was also a very good air racer...who flew P-51 warbirds at Reno among other places, and has a successful aircraft business. He still rides (though a Harley-Davidson now) and is also a big fan of dogs. I think I would really like this guy. It also had a great article on Jorma Kaukonen, who was one of the founders of the Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna (the latter still tours), and lives in Southeast Ohio where he rides motorcycles. Jorma has also been on some interesting cross country motorcycle rides. I also learned that I get a free motorcycle rental (its in the magazine) on my birthday this year with EagleRider. The magazine is published by the American Motorcyclist Association, and is a great group to belong to. It protects rights of bikers, you get great discounts though a number of benefits (have gotten some good hotel discounts through the AMA, also some good deals on parts), and being a member gives me a discount on my motorcycle insurance...so its a win win sort of thing.
However...a bit of disagreement between me and them has come up. Minor but worth a few words. Arnold Schwarzenegger (whew) was made the 2010 Motorcyclist of the Year by the AMA due to his "negative" impact on the sport by signing a law that would require an EPA stamp on aftermarket exhausts on bikes sold after 2013 in California. This law was passed by the legislature, and would cut down on the noise from loud pipes. I know the argument "loud pipes save lives". Loud pipes also piss off other citizens, and I know from rides with a few bikers who had "loud pipes" that they get attention as well from citizens who drive in cars with uniforms on, and have colored lights on their state, county and city cars! Before leaving Richmond, read an opinion letter in the Richmond paper on a persons problems with loud motorcycles. The AMA seems to feel that we can "self police" but that does not seem to be working well. I am all for freedom, but loud bikes impact our freedom to ride. I agree with people who want to replace stock systems with aftermarket (and I am among those who have done it) but either for performance or for cost (they are a whole lot cheaper, as a rule, than stock systems). My point is that picking on Arnold (who has been a good friend to motorcycling; has ridden in many of his movies) for being the "first" is not fair. I think that unless the aftermarket industry makes some effort to control the noise of its pipes, that this is just the tip of what is coming. I think that limits on the noise stock pipes can make, coupled with increased enforcement is coming; the alternative will be bans on motorcycles in many areas such as parks and even neighborhoods (and that has happened in a lot of places already). Yeah I know its all about "Freedom" but freedom has a price in many directions. So in this case, I am not a fan of what they did to Arnold or why.
Still though, I will remain a member of the AMA. Like what it does in general, and like the magazine a great deal. Fun to keep up with races, and noted that the AMA Pro Superbike Championship will be rolling into Alton, VA August 12-14. They cover a lot of motorcycle races, and also other events in the states. So I enjoyed the issue, and am pleased with being an AMA member in general. Like any group, will always be some disagreement.
Motorcycling is a great sport, as well as one of the things I do that I most enjoy, and want to keep it viable for future generations to come. That is why the AMA is important, and is worth your attention. Ride safe, and see you on the open road!

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...