Saturday, May 30, 2009

Child Savers/Tuskegee Airman MC Charity Ride (May 30, 2009)

I took these photos during the ride. Funny thing was, I did not go on the ride, but it left from Cloverleaf Mall which is a big abandoned mall near my apartment in Richmond, VA. My motorcycle is in Concord, NC awaiting my return next weekend (when I plan to ride to the Hog Happening in Lincolnton, NC). I read about this ride though in the newspaper yesterday, and got up this morning to see them off.
Funny thing was, I kept running into the ride in the course of the day while doing some Richmond exploring today in the car. For instance this green Suzuki I saw at Buffalo Wild Wings in Richmond, and was one of the bikes on the ride. I thought it was a very cool metal flake paint job, and check out that rear tire!
This yellow custom sport bike was at the official end of the ride, which was the grounds of the Chimborazo Medical Hospital which was where Confederate troops were treated during the Civil War. I went there to see the hospital site (only a museum building is there now).

I did enjoy the rumble and roar of the collected group of Cruiser and Sport Bikes which took part in the ride. The group of mostly black bikers took part in the ride to raise money for the Richmond group "Child Savers" and was put on by the Tuskegee Airman Motorcycle Club who invited a few hundred of their friends to ride along and help out. This photo is of just SOME of the bikes that came out. The Tuskegee Airman is named for the famous black fighter pilots of WWII, who had a remarkable combat record in the face of racism, and showed what America can do when it does it together. I enjoyed the visit with the men and women of the groups that took part in the ride today.
I also found this week, a new site and magazine covering motorcycles in the Virginia region. Thunder Roads is the site, and I have added the link to it on my links. It's a free magazine which offers all sorts of local information, as well as dates and locations for upcoming rides in the area. It reminds me a great deal of our local publications in North Carolina: "Born to Ride" and also "Full Throttle"...both of which are also free and can be found at many biker friendly locations, and most motorcycle dealerships.
It was a beautiful weekend to have ridden, hoping for the same next weekend when I take to the roads of North Carolina for what has always been one of the best rides of the year.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...