Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Davis Harley-Davidson, and the Saturday Ride

Took a drive Saturday morning March 7 down I-85 from Richmond, Va. Made a stop in Burlington, NC at Davis Harley-Davidson. Nice modern Harley shop was a good collection of motorcycles to view, and a lot of bikes for sale. The shop had some bikes that were easy to view such as this 1960 Harley Davidson Sportster. I like the Sportster though it has gotten a reputation as a girl's bike at one time was quite the motorcycle. In fact a show called "Then Came Bronson" was the story of a man's journey on his Sportster across America. I remember watching that as a kid and did enjoy the show. Sportsters are too small for a tall guy, but remain the most affordable Harley. If the most basic.

Davis is located in Burlington, NC right on off I-85. I followed some motorcycles to the dealership. Tough times in the motorcycle business; Harley and Victory have both been cutting workers (for that matter....who hasent?) and the Japanese are cutting production. On the somewhat bright side, when I got home to Concord at noon saw a beautiful sight on my kitchen table; the title to the bike. No more payments to the credit union, and that is a wonderful thing.


In celebration (and not in some small matter due to the fact that it was in the lower 80's and sunny) took the bike out and rode around the Concord area for two hours. I have been in Richmond for two weeks; so have missed doing that a great deal (not to mention my wife Patty, son Robby, and my two border collies...and yes, the family did get the VAST majority of my time this weekend) but rode around a bit down the familiar streets of Concord. Got in a bit of backroad cruising. I also rode out by the three big race tracks on Bruton Smith Blvd (and yes, he owns them all) and have posted them on the Flickr page I have (and yes again...there is a link to it on my blog). Went by Quaker Steak and Lube, which is starting the summer Bike Night on March 25 and then every Wednesday into the fall. Those tend to draw a massive crowd, if you get there around 7, you may not get in at all, so be advised. One of the best bike nights in the region, but many good ones in Concord and Charlotte too for that matter.
It was great to get out, and enjoyed the ride greatly. Will be getting out again soon; after another two week period. Some great Carolina events coming up, and I am looking forward to attending some of them in 2009.

No comments:

Morning Ride (May 2, 2024)

Got out for a real short ride this morning. While out said hello to the family and their kids. A lot of those in the neighborhood of late. R...