Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fire in the Sky

In my last post I wrote some about fall rides, have been on couple over the last few days. For sure the fall colors in the trees are fading as the leaves are falling to the ground now. We had a few days of rain this week, and cold is more of a factor. However, today after some Saturday work, got out on the bike. As I noted (also in the last post) early in the ride had a truck with trailer turn in front of me, but I was watching for him and was not even a close call (shocked him though) thanks to that. This time of year, its especially important to watch out for the other guy. At any case, through the leaves have changed, I did see this sunset and finally found a place to pull over and catch it. Even though the 70s today were quickly falling as the sun went down, was sure worth a little cool riding to get this photo. A few bikes were out today, and one was pulled over. I pulled over to make sure he was ok; found he was just changing goggles from smoke to clear. He did thank me for stopping though, and I felt good that I did. You never know when someone could need help, and of course, you never know when it could be you in that position.
A co-worker this week ordered the V-Max he is wanting. A fine motorcycle, and sure to be a lot of fun. My only concern is that it is his first motorcycle, and might be a real handful to learn the art of survival on the road. I wrote some comments in an earlier three part section called "So you want to ride a motorcycle?" in some earlier posts. I don't think many people who do not ride really understand that sport bikes (as well as many other types) give a whole new meaning to the terms "quick and fast". Too often, new riders get more motorcycle then they really understand. Just this year, a friend of my wife's son got a brand new Kawasaki ZX-12 Ninja which he enjoyed for an entire day before having the crash that killed him. Apparently he went off the road. Lots of benefits to taking a riding class, and is my strongest suggestion to both the new rider, as well as the returning rider. The idea of having a motorcycle is to have a history of great rides, not to make an early exit from the planet. Before you get the bike, get the training. Odds are stacked against you on a motorcycle in an accident, there are tools out there to help you to even the odds.
All that said, have really enjoyed some great riding these past few weeks. There are few seasons I enjoy as much as fall, and this one was really great for colors. The ride to the mountains, and the rides around here have all been remarkable experiences. A great thing about riding in the Carolinas is that though we have some cool (if not down right cold days) we also have some serious bouts of warmer weather (relatively speaking). It is not only possible, but generally pretty easy with the right clothing, to ride the Carolinas all year long. I know...I have done it ever since I have been down here (and that is over a 10 year period).
Where ever you ride, ride safely.

No comments:

Last Ride of 2023 (October 27, 2023)

End of the ride here at home, sights below are during the ride. cCme across the Harley and the sidecar at the gas station. Talked with owner...