Monday, October 11, 2010

131 on NC-49 (October 9,2010)

It had been nearly a month since my last motorcycle ride; but had a beautiful Carolina day on October 9 to get out. Rode up NC-49 toward Asheboro, NC. Made a short stop at Tuckertown Lake, and another (seen at left) at Asheboro Airport where I saw this very cool plane behind my bike. Great smells along the way; wood stacked at Mt. Pleasant at the lumber yard, the reek of skunks, the smell of water, and the clear, clean Carolina air. Cool when I first headed out at 9am, wore for the first time in a long time my leather jacket and gloves, but it got warmer near the end of the ride. Enjoyed the horses and cows I passed in farms along the way.

I stopped in downtown Asheboro, where a farm show was going on; saw a lot of very nice farm equipment (though very old, most of it looked brand new), and also wandered around town a bit. Heading out, took a different road and went by the Pisgah Covered Bridge. A replica bridge (the original was washed out in a flood of the creek below) but still really cool. Also nice was the backroads there, a very scenic ride and very peaceful. Did not pass a car as I rode along. Came back via NC-49 where I saw once again the Mustang on the pole. Just a great time, and too long since I had been down that route. It is a really great ride.
Stopped at Steve's house before going back shortly after 1pm. Rode his bike, which is a 1996 Harley Wide Glide (somewhat customized). Liked the bike, nothing quite feels like a Harley...a bit rougher than my very smooth Vulcan, but loved the sound, and nice performance wise for a cruiser too. It was a great ride, long anticipated and very well enjoyed on a fantastic Saturday in the Carolinas. Until I get to ride again, will keep me smiling during my upcoming days in Richmond, VA...far from my home!

No comments:

Back in the Saddle (May 1, 2024)

At long last, got back out on the Triumph once again for the 2024 riding season. Was a long but fun winter and a wet Spring, but things are ...